Once you’ve seen the top sights in Rome such as the Colosseum, the Pantheon, Trevi Fountain and the Vatican, your eyes start to glaze over, you start feeling lazy. Tourist fatigue seeps through your body and you feel completely churched out. Before you resort to drinking vino and eating gelato (though that’s fun too) for […]
Things to do in Italy
Italy, the wonderful boot-shaped country that steps into the Mediterranean like a cat-walking fashion model. This popular European destination makes great travel destination, and is one of my go-to holiday spots. In fact, there are so many great things to do in Italy it's hard to get my husband to go anywhere else. Bella Italia offers terrific food, sultry hot springs, fashion, history, art, architecture and more. The cities in Italy are fascinating, the countryside is enticing, and the hill towns are made for strolling around in.
There are so many different sides to Italy it could be a disco ball (when it's not busy being a fashion model) - a sultry disco ball with palm trees and ancient columns, of course. For some top Italy travel ideas read on.
If you're searching around for things to do in Italy you'll be spoiled for choice. Here are a few travel ideas:
- Visit romantic Venice to imagine the decadent days of yore when Casanova wined, dined and bedded the cream of aristocratic womanhood. Of course he also got thrown into jail in Venice, so you can visit Piombi Prison while you're at it. Here's more about What to do in Venice.
- Head to Florence, the birthplace of the Renaissance to let the dark history of the Medici family come alive. While you're there don't miss seeing The Birth of Venus, the famous masterpiece by Sandro Botticelli at the Uffizi Gallery.
- Don't just stick to the main cities. One of the best things to do in Italy is to get out into the country and visit smaller centres. If you love art, take a train to Padua to see the Giotto frescoes. Or spa in the town of Abano, only 45 minutes from Venice.
- Hike in the Dolomites.
- Spend a day in Milan, this northern Italian city may surprise you.
- For one of the best 'Italy travel' moments, sip a rich Brunello red wine in the hill town of Montalcino in Tuscany.
- Soak in the sultry hot springs pools of Terme di Saturnia.
- Most importantly, go to Rome to toss a coin in Trevi Fountain, so that you're guaranteed to return.
What you need to watch out for regarding Italy travel
- If you rent a car, watch out for speeding tickets. My husband still won't confess how many he got.
- If you want to visit the top museums and galleries or other tourist attractions book ahead. Or miss seeing the Last Supper in Milan like we did.
My final and most important piece of advice when it comes to travel in Italy:
- Don't do them all. There are a million things to do in Italy, but don't get so caught up in seeing the sights you forget to relax, breathe and experience la dolce vita, otherwise known as the sweet life.
If you’re looking for a luxury apartment in Venice, Italy, the Imperiale San Marco in the Palazzo Grimani is a sumptuous private home rental near St. Mark’s Square. Here’s my review. A luxury apartment in Venice I’m swanning around my luxury apartment in Venice, surrounded by 18th-century splendour. Pausing under the enormous chandelier in the […]
If you’re interested in wine tastings, vineyards and wine tours in Italy, you need to know where to go. With more than 300 grape varieties and 20 different wine regions, this boot-shaped country can make your head spin before you’ve even had a drink. Don’t worry. Help with trip planning is at hand. Here are […]
Are you planning a trip to Italy? If you’re travelling to Tuscany, think about spending at least one day in Lucca. This charming city has cobbled streets made for wandering and Renaissance walls you can cycle on top of. Just over an hour from Florence, it’s one Tuscan destination you won’t want to miss. Here’s […]
Tuscany is famous for its natural hot springs and steaming thermal spa resorts, but how do you know where to go? Search no more. Here is how to choose a spa in Tuscany, and a rundown on some of the best Tuscan spas, natural pools and hot springs resorts. Choosing a spa in Tuscany Renting […]
The pale unearthly-looking desk clerk handed me the key to my room. “You leave the lobby and take the elevator up. It’s a manual elevator, please be sure to shut the doors after you leave.” I should have known right then and there that this Will Remain Nameless Rome Hotel wasn’t my kind of place, but it wasn’t […]
When I told my mother I was going to Assisi, a medieval town in Italy, she said that she and my father had gone there on their honeymoon, aka the penniless but thrilling art tour of France and Italy, to see the Giotto frescoes. “You mean Padua,” I said. “The Giotto frescoes in Padua.” “Assisi. […]
From the top of its watery head (Venice) to the tip of its sexy high-heeled boot (Puglia), there are so many things to do in Italy it’s dizzying. Stop twirling around in a panic – you’re making me dizzy, too. Take a deep breath and smell the oregano. There. Don’t you feel better? Now let me tell you […]
Let the tourist onslaught begin! It’s time to spend one day in Florence, Italy where you’ll cross paths with every other tourist in the world – except for the hordes already in Venice. No matter. A few thousand eager travellers clutching their Rick Steves Florence and Tuscany guidebook shouldn’t get in your way. One day […]
There are so many wonderful things to do in Tuscany, a seductive region of Italy that will steal your heart and put a stamp on your soul. Read on to learn what to do in Tuscany: If Tuscany was a woman and you were dating her. (Seriously.) It’s a fact. Tuscany just keeps getting more […]