Luxury Travel Blogger Based in Ontario
Life as a travel writer takes you to some spectacular places. In Wandering Carol’s career as a travel columnist, spa expert, freelance writer and luxury travel expert she’s visited some of the world’s best hotels, spas and most authentic out-of-the-way places. She sees no reason to stop now.
Who is Wandering Carol?
Wandering Carol is Carol Perehudoff, is a freelance writer and luxury travel writer based in Ontario, Canada.
She is highly overeducated with an English degree, a Masters degree in Visual Art and an MBA, which she got in Korea. By accident. (Remind her to tell you the story sometime.)
Loves to Travel
She’s not the world’s best traveller, but she may be the most enthusiastic, especially if her trips involves mountains, hot springs, spas, art and/or shoe shopping. Her most treasured purchase? A Murano glass chandelier in Venice, because everyone needs more light in their life.
In addition to running this luxury travel magazine, Carol has written for a number of top newspapers and magazines throughout North America and beyond.
Her travel articles have appeared in publications such as the Toronto Star, enRoute Magazine, Review Magazine, Pure Canada, Royal Wings, the Chicago Tribune, New York Post, San Francisco Chronicle, St. Louis Post Dispatch, New Orleans Times-Picayune, New Hampshire Union Leader Post, the Halifax Chronicle Herald, Vancouver Sun and St. Petersburg Times.
There are more but she’s tired of writing.
When she’s not out roaming the world, she’s holed up writing deeply profound travel essays. No, really. (Okay, so maybe they’re not that profound.) Her narrative essays have appeared in the online literary journal BOULDERPAVEMENT 2012, and in the travel anthologies A Woman’s Europe, published by Travelers Tales, 2004, and Go Your Own Way: Women Travel the World Solo published by Seal Press, 2007.
Other essays have won honourable mentions but never a first. Something to aspire to!
Travel Writing and Website Awards
Every so often she gets lucky and wins a writing award (though she’s not having much luck with the lottery). In case you are curious here’s a list of some various awards, honours and shout outs:
- 2020 2nd Place for Best Travel Blogs and Columns – Travel Media Association Awards (for 2019)
- 2019 Gold for Best Travel Service Story – Society of American Travel Writers Canadian Chapter Awards
- 2019 Bronze for Best International Travel Story – Society of American Travel Writers Canadian Chapter Awards
- 2019 1st Prize for Best Lifestyle or Wellness Feature – Travel Media Association Awards (for 2018)
- 2018 Gold Medal for Best Luxury or Resort Online Article – North America Travel Journalists Association
- 2018 Honourable Mention for Best Cruise Article Online – North America Travel Journalists Association
- 2018 Top 50 Global Luxury Travel Blogs – Amsterdam Diary
- 2018 Best Luxury Travel Blogs 2018, Top Industry Experts – Credit Donkey
- 2018 The 45 Best Boomer Travel Blogs 2018 – GettingonTravel.com
- 2017 Honourable Mention – Best Outdoor Adventure Article – Travel Media Association of Canada
- 2017 Top 60 Canadian Travel Blogs – Feedspot.com
- 2017 #4 in Luxury Travel Blog category – List of Top Travel Blogs at Joaoleitao.com
- 2017 Top 100 Freelance Bloggers – Feedspot.com
- 2016 Top 50 Luxury Travel Blogs – Upstyle Travel
- 2016 Named a 10 Best Luxury Travel Blogger (again) in the USA Today 10 Best Readers’ Choice Awards
- 2016 Top Luxury Travel Blogs of 2016 – HelloTravel.com
- 2015 Best Travel Blogs – The Luxe Insider
- 2015 Best Service Article – Travel Media Association of Canada
- 2015 Does this count? I’m listing it anyway. Ha ha. Named one of the 10 Hottest Female Bloggers over 40 at NomadicChic.com
- 2015 Named one of FlipKey’s Top Toronto-Based Bloggers
- 2014 Voted one of the 10 Best Luxury Travel Bloggers in the USA Today and 10Best Readers’ Choice Awards
- 2012 Semi-finalist, 2012 Florida Review Editors’ Awards contest.
- 2010 Fellowship to attend the Narrative Journalism Program at the Banff Centre, Banff, Alberta
- 2009: Shortlisted, University of Michigan – Prague Summer Program 2009 Fellowship Competition
- 2008: Award of Merit, Bylined Column, NATJA (North American Travel Journalists Association) Awards
- 2008: Award of Merit, Resort Category, NATJA Awards
- 2008: Shortlisted in the Event Magazine Nonfiction Writing Contest
- 2008: Honorable Mention in the University of New Orleans Study Abroad Program in Arts and Writing Contest
- 2008: Choice Hotels Award of Excellence, Canadian Destination – TMAC Awards
- 2007: 1st Place, Historical Travel in the NATJA Awards
- 2007: Runner Up, Bylined Column in the NATJA Awards
- 2007: Honorable Mention, Local Lifestyles in the NATJA Awards
- 2006: Cayman Islands Media Award, Excellence in Caribbean Travel Writing – TMAC Awards
- 2006: Runner Up, Bylined Column in the NATJA Awards
- 2005: 1st Place, Cruise Category in the NATJA Awards
- 2005: 2nd Place, Leisure Category in the NATJA Awards
Professional Travel Writing Affiliations
Carol is a member of SATW (Society of American Travel Writers) and TMAC (Travel Media Association of Canada).
Have a question or want to work with a luxury travel writer?
Contact her at:
Read more about the Wandering Carol website.