Life as a travel writer takes you to some spectacular places. In Carol’s career as a travel columnist, spa expert, freelance writer and luxury travel blogger she’s visited some of the world’s best hotels, top spas and most authentic out-of-the-way places. She sees no reason to stop now.
2014 news Flash! WanderingCarol.com has been nominated in the USA Today and 10Best Readers’ Choice Award for Best Luxury Travel Blogger Please click and vote. It’s super easy and very appreciated. (You can vote once a day until Sept 22nd, 2014 and for every vote a fierce gang of tiny fairies will sprinkle fairy dust over the land.)
Who is Wandering Carol?
Wandering Carol is Carol Perehudoff, a freelance writer and luxury travel blogger based in Toronto. She is highly overeducated with an English degree, a Masters degree in Visual Art and an MBA, which she got in Korea. By accident. (Remind her to tell you the story sometime.)
She’s not the world’s best traveller, but she may be the most enthusiastic luxury travel blogger around, especially if her trips involves mountains, hot springs, spas, art and/or shoe shopping. Her most recent purchase? A Murano glass chandelier in Venice, because everyone needs more light in their life.
In addition to working as a luxury travel blogger, Carol has written for a number of top newspapers and magazines throughout North America and beyond. Her travel articles have appeared in publications such as the Toronto Star, enRoute Magazine, Review Magazine, Pure Canada, Royal Wings, the Chicago Tribune, New York Post, San Francisco Chronicle, St. Louis Post Dispatch, New Orleans Times-Picayune, New Hampshire Union Leader Post, the Halifax Chronicle Herald, Vancouver Sun and St. Petersburg Times. There are more but she’s tired of writing.
When she’s not out roaming the world as a luxury travel blogger, she’s holed up writing deeply profound travel essays. No really. Her narrative essays have appeared in the online literary journal BOULDERPAVEMENT 2012, and in the travel anthologies A Woman’s Europe, published by Travelers Tales, 2004, and Go Your Own Way: Women Travel the World Solo published by Seal Press, 2007. Other essays have won honourable mentions but never a first. Something to aspire to!
Travel Writing Awards
Every so often she gets lucky and wins a writing award (though she’s not having much luck with the lottery). In case you are curious here’s a list of her various awards and honours:
- 2014 Nominated for Best Luxury Travel Blogger in the USA Today and 10Best Readers’ Choice Awards
- 2012 Semi-finalist, 2012 Florida Review Editors’ Awards contest.
- 2010 Fellowship to attend the Narrative Journalism Program at the Banff Centre, Banff, Alberta
- 2009: Shortlisted, University of Michigan – Prague Summer Program 2009 Fellowship Competition
- 2008: Award of Merit, Bylined Column, NATJA (North American Travel Journalists Association) Awards
- 2008: Award of Merit, Resort Category, NATJA Awards
- 2008: Shortlisted in the Event Magazine Nonfiction Writing Contest
- 2008: Honorable Mention in the University of New Orleans Study Abroad Program in Arts and Writing Contest
- 2008: Choice Hotels Award of Excellence, Canadian Destination – TMAC Awards2007: 1st Place, Historical Travel in the NATJA Awards
- 2007: Runner Up, Bylined Column in the NATJA Awards
- 2007: Honorable Mention, Local Lifestyles in the NATJA Awards
- 2006: Cayman Islands Media Award, Excellence in Caribbean Travel Writing – TMAC Awards
- 2006: Runner Up, Bylined Column in the NATJA Awards
- 2005: 1st Place, Cruise Category in the NATJA Awards
- 2005: 2nd Place, Leisure Category in the NATJA Awards
Carol is a member of SATW (Society of American Travel Writers), TMAC (Travel Media Association of Canada) and the Professional Travel Bloggers Association.
Have a question or want to work with a luxury travel blogger?
Contact her at: